Malaysia Halal Industry Key Indicators for 2020
The following are some of the key indicators related to the performance of Malaysia’s halal industry in 2020, as released by the Halal Development Corporation.
A. MALAYSIA HALAL PARKS
- Total investments since 2011: RM16.1 bil.
- FDI: 59% – RM9.5 bil
- DDI: 41% – RM6.6 bil (increase 1.25% in 2020)
2. Halal Park Tenants
- MNCs: 14.3% – 42 companies
- Locals: 85.7% – 253 companies
- Total 295 companies currently in operation in 21 halal parks across Malaysia.
B. GLOBAL RECOGNITION
- Malaysia: 1st in overall in Global Islamic Economy Indicator (GIEI) 2020/21 – 8th consecutive year on top.
- 1st in 4 of 6 categories – Halal Food, Islamic Finance, Muslim Friendly Travel, and Pharmaceutical & Cosmetics.
- 2nd in Media & Recreation; 4th in Modest Fashion
C. HALAL EXPORTS
i. Export Value:
- 2019: RM40.2 bil
- 2020: RM30.5 bil
- Deficit: (RM9.7 bil)
ii. Trade Partners:
- Singapore RM4.1 bil (new)
- China RM3.44 bil
- USA RM1.74 bil
- Thailand RM1.48 bil
- Indonesia RM1.34 bil
iii. Total Halal Exporters:
- 2019: 1,876
- 2020: 1,507
- Deficit: 369 companies
iv. Sectoral Contribution:
- Halal Food & Beverages RM17.40 bil.
- Halal Ingredients RM8.83 bil.
- Cosmetics & Personal Care RM2.67 bil.
- Palm Oil Derivatives RM0.89 bil.
- Industrial Chemicals RM0.47 bil.
- Halal Pharmaceuticals RM0.30 bil.
v. Halal Training
- 2020: 337 personnel trained in Halal Management.
- Total trained to date since 2011: More than 60,000 personnel
D. HDC 2021 Projects in the Pipeline:
- Halal Integrated Platform (HIP)
- Halal Training Institute
- Halal Consultancy & Advisory
- New Halal Park Standard
- Muslim Friendly Guidelines for hypermarkets, marts or restaurants overseas.