The following are some of the key indicators related to the performance of Malaysia’s halal industry in 2020, as released by the Halal Development Corporation.
A. MALAYSIA HALAL PARKS
- Total investments since 2011: RM16.1 bil.
- FDI: 59% – RM9.5 bil
- DDI: 41% – RM6.6 bil (increase 1.25% in 2020)
2. Halal Park Tenants
- MNCs: 14.3% – 42 companies
- Locals: 85.7% – 253 companies
- Total 295 companies currently in operation in 21 halal parks across Malaysia.
B. GLOBAL RECOGNITION
- Malaysia: 1st in overall in Global Islamic Economy Indicator (GIEI) 2020/21 – 8th consecutive year on top.
- 1st in 4 of 6 categories – Halal Food, Islamic Finance, Muslim Friendly Travel, and Pharmaceutical & Cosmetics.
- 2nd in Media & Recreation; 4th in Modest Fashion
C. HALAL EXPORTS
i. Export Value:
- 2019: RM40.2 bil
- 2020: RM30.5 bil
- Deficit: (RM9.7 bil)
ii. Trade Partners:
- Singapore RM4.1 bil (new)
- China RM3.44 bil
- USA RM1.74 bil
- Thailand RM1.48 bil
- Indonesia RM1.34 bil
iii. Total Halal Exporters:
- 2019: 1,876
- 2020: 1,507
- Deficit: 369 companies
iv. Sectoral Contribution:
- Halal Food & Beverages RM17.40 bil.
- Halal Ingredients RM8.83 bil.
- Cosmetics & Personal Care RM2.67 bil.
- Palm Oil Derivatives RM0.89 bil.
- Industrial Chemicals RM0.47 bil.
- Halal Pharmaceuticals RM0.30 bil.
v. Halal Training
- 2020: 337 personnel trained in Halal Management.
- Total trained to date since 2011: More than 60,000 personnel
D. HDC 2021 Projects in the Pipeline:
- Halal Integrated Platform (HIP)
- Halal Training Institute
- Halal Consultancy & Advisory
- New Halal Park Standard
- Muslim Friendly Guidelines for hypermarkets, marts or restaurants overseas.